Monday, June 23, 2008

Things People Say When They Actually Mean Very Nearly the Opposite

I'm fascinated with a recent upturn in a particular phenomenon of popular language. The true meaning of an expression is not merely modified or flavored or colored to cast the speaker in a better light—but shamelessly mis-stated. A couple of random examples:

In religious/spiritual circles

"I am so humbled..." = "I am so very proud..."
This one drives me crazy. Quite often it is perfectly legitimate that the speaker feel honored, gratified, deeply satisfied with whatever recognition or favorable response has come to him. Nobody would fault him for expressing it as "Thank you! I am so honored...". So why the faux-humility? You're not humbled. When you think you deserve accolades and get the opposite, that's humbling.

In advertising (always a rich source of verbal buffoonery)

"You're pre-approved" = "You're absolutely NOT pre-approved"
You might be approved later, post-approved, but you will in fact jump through many hoops to achieve this status.

"For your convenience" = "For our convenience"
The "convenience" line is usually a tip-off that some customary feature or benefit has been removed. "We no longer serve free ice-water, but for your convenience bottled water may be purchased from the food case."

In general

"It's a win/win situation" = "I will win/you probably won't"
All pyramid schemes and red-hot real estate opportunities are built on this trusty foundation.

"It's not about the money" = "It's about the money"
Nuff said.

I would of course be so humbled to hear suggestions and additions from others...for your convenience.

13 comments:

Danny Wright said...

I'm a patriot = I'm not a patriot, but I play one on TV.


Your thoughts?

Danny Wright said...

I can't sleep so here's another one:

"We support the troops" = "We support ourselves" It sounds good but normally the speaker is saying it because it has become obvious that he has staked his political fortune on "the troops" having their tails handed to them on a silver platter.

terryd said...

Danny,
Yes! The political world is a treasure-trove of this verbal nonsense isn't it? I'm sure we'll be rewarded with lot's more in the coming months. The loose claims to patriotism and the "I support the troops" thing are a great example. Thanks...I'm humbled!

Linda said...

How about "For the children"="For my own personal political agenda".

terryd said...

"'for the children'—the last refuge of scoundrels"
Who said that?

Danny Wright said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danny Wright said...

May I leave just one more?

"We need to regain the respect of the rest of the world" = "We need to dispense with any remaining self-respect"

Danny Wright said...

And one more. I was thinking about this while I was out of town and this guy came to mind. He does a very funny routine along this line. If you haven't heard of him also look up on you tube "homeschooling family" and "Cletus that the reel". Let me know what you think

http://www.godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=807573e3d363d01058ed

Unknown said...

How about "making Christ attractive to the world."

It's a good bet the opposite result will ensue.

terryd said...

Danny,
That guy is funny! I hadn't seen this one before. The "Jesus Take the Reel" spoof and the homeschooling one are priceless.

Gary,
Wasn't that something? I'm just a little embarrassed (humbled?) looking back at how long I listened to that stuff. And I had read Isaiah 53.

terryd said...

Correction: I should have said "Cletus Take the Reel"...or is it Cletis?

Holly said...

OOOOO... the "I'm so humbled" one doesn't even make any sense! I've never understood it when people say it. "I'm so humbled that I won this Oscar out of all the other people in the world." "I'm so humbled by how many friends I have!" Why not say grateful, thankful, PROUD even? No one would think you were weird if you said, "I am so proud of all my friends who have helped me this year." Actually, I'd think it was sweet. Anyway, great post!

terryd said...

I suppose at the bottom of it the speaker, while basking in our adulation, desires the additional glory of being regarded as not only brilliant but self-effacing and...humble!