Friday, November 30, 2007



Nugatory Discomfiture

You guessed it, it's time for this week's vocabulary adventure. It's never been my intention to discomfit my readers on this page. Nobody wants to toil and moil over a blog post, just read and enjoy. That's why here in my virtual hibernaculum, the decision was made to link each new and challenging word from my Word-a-day calendar to its definition at dictionary.com.

In unrelated domestic news, this is the week of the annual major appliance or plumbing fixture breakdown at the Dugan manse. We lose at least one each year during the Christmas holiday. This time it's the overpriced built-in microwave that is kaput. An over-priced replacement unit is on order.

Couldn't think of a kind way to use the word "porcine," though in the political season, all sorts of unkind usage comes easily. I'll take suggestions...

My favorite new word? Nugatory, hands down.

1 comment:

Linda said...

About porcine, we are having pork roast tonight for supper. Coincidence? I think not.

In addition to the microwave, it's time to replace that Moen kitchen faucet so that this Christmas Day we will not be turning the water on and off with a large wrench again. I think that sucker breaks every Christmas Day. Let's not go with the Moen this time, okay?

I had better stop this nugatory comment.