Tuesday, May 15, 2007

"Thank You, Mr. DUGG-an"

When you decide to change the name of sole-proprietor business to one that does not include both first and last name (John Doe Widgets to Doe Widgets Unlimited), there are more than a few legal and logistical hoops to jump through. One just cleared this morning was at the bank where, Secretary of State documentation in hand, I successfully made a business checking account name change.

My case was unusual and it took some extra time and phone consultation to determine just what needed to be done. It seems that my account had been opened some time before the bank officer was born and the details of it (and for all I know, I myself) appeared to her quaint, mysterious and as inscrutable as something from the Arthurian legend. The account had been opened in 1983, just after the battle of Agincourt. To her credit, she navigated through the process of updating the ancient records, periodically reminding us both of just how old and odd they were, with the help of a consultant at the other end of the phone line—while repeatedly mispronouncing my name. "Will Mr. DUGG-an remain as a signer if...so where do I indicate DUGG-an Design Group on the form...yes, Mr. DUGG-an will continue to...." And so on.

Now I know that the name Dugan, even with the correct long vowel sound, isn't exactly musical as it rolls off the Irish tongue, and the problem for us is nothing new. But consider this: It was originally spelled with two g's and in a more grammatically rules-conscious age was ever and forgiveably being rendered "DUGG-an," short vowel before double consonant. My father, it is said, took offense and then took action excising the extra letter. In this age his work is to no avail. So at the bank and on the phone it continues. "Hello, this is Kevin at Acme Siding...how are you this evening Mr. DUGG-an?..."

I think the long-vowel-before-single-hard-consonant rule still applies, doesn't it?

If not, I'll just say that my new business name is now LEGG-al, I've signed the forms in DUPP-licate as was my DUTT-y.

You're welcome Ms. JONN-es.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post. The funniest mispronunciation I've heard is "Duncan". I've never understood how so many people can get "Duncan" out of "Dugan".

But Wallace isn't that much better...I've been surprised at how many people don't know how to spell it!

Linda said...

As I checked in to hand therapy yesterday, I gave my name, and the lady looked at her computer screen and said to me, "Linda Dungan," and out of nowhere I said, "No, Linda Duncan." I have no idea where that came from, must have had this blog post in mind!

Tipler said...

As I stumble in on your post, I find it most amusing. I've had similar experiences with my last name either assuming I am Mr. Taylor or a Tippler with 2 'p's. I have been known to, on occasion, to tipple however it is no relation to my last name.

Now the logical next step for you is to replace the 'u' with 'oo'. Then everyone can come up with new and fun ways to pronounce both syllables. :-)

I hope you all are doing well!

terryd said...

Thanks for checking in, Mr. Type-ler.
--Mr. Dooogan

Anonymous said...

I actually once got a wedding invitation addressed to Nikki Doogan. :)

bpfau said...

And I'm always "Jean Phau", or "Pufaw" or "Puffoo" or "Phew" or "Pafayoo" (Even some people who have known me my entire life do this.)

Oh yea, before I was married it was always "Jean Westerberg".

Mindy said...

Even Dahlens are not exempt. I have NEVER answered a sales call and heard, "Is Stephen Dahlen there?" No, it's "Uh... Steffin Day-lin?" If our last name were "Dahl", it would be no trouble; I"m sure no one would say "Dale". But add the "-en" and logic goes down the drain! We also get "Steffin Dahl-LEEN" and an occasional "Diana" for Diane. It's a thing of beauty.

Mindy said...

Oh, and "Puffoo" is my favorite mispronunciation of "Pfau"!

Diane Dahlen said...

Sorry - I have to side with the mispronouncers of whom I am Chief! My biggest nightmare is that one of my children will name a grandchild Alyssa, Alicia, Alisha, Elise OR Kristen or Kirsten. I've never learned how to say the name of a gentleman at our church - Patrick Aylward. As I sit here writing this, I'm battling it again...it is Aleyward, Allward, Aliward. I'll just call him Patrick. Diana DALIN