Monday, October 02, 2006

A Closet Arminian's Top 10 Observations at the 2006 Desiring God Conference.

1. These Reformed people are passionate.
In my Wesleyan, break-off charismatic Lutheran background, I was always given the impression that Calvinists were were pretty stiff and unemotional, all about correct doctrine and not much about Life and Spirit.

2. Ph.D. Divs can be incredibly passionate about the glory of God.
Education is not the enemy of a passion for the Gospel or commitment to the authority of Scripture. And you can learn a thing or two from these guys.

3. These people are stuck on the idea that it's all about the Supremacy of Christ and the glory of God.
They can't seem to talk about much else.

4. These people really like books.
By the end of day 2, the tables in the huge bookstore which had been piled high with theology, devotion and scripture (not much fluff here) looked like a plague of locusts had been through. I don't know when I'll read all this stuff.

5. There are no vending machines near the auditorium itself.
If you miss the concessions and don't have time to dash downtown, you will starve. Unless Aaron C. gives you a giant Pearson's Salted Nut Roll.

6. Mark Driscoll didn't worry me as much as I thought he might.
He made some excellent points.

7. I had never heard of Dr. Voddie Baucham, but I'm still looking for the socks I was wearing Saturday morning.
I want all my kids to see the video of his message "The Supremacy of Christ and Truth in a Post-Modern World."

8. We're all in this together.
Calvinists, Arminians and in-betweens, in confronting this assault on propositional truth and the heart of the Gospel lead by Emergent and others. (I would challenge people to download the 40 year old "Ten Shekels and a Shirt" by Paris Reidhead, a strong Wesleyan, and note the same theme of Christ-centered Gospel echoing across theological space and time.)

9. We're all in this together.
Imagine 3,149 Calvinists (and me) raising the auditorium roof with all 4 (or was it 5?) verses of Charles Wesley's "And Can It Be."

10. I think it's all about the supremacy of Christ and the glory of God.

All the messages will soon be available free at desiringgod.org, linked at right. I will need to revisit several of them.

8 comments:

Linda said...

The messages are now available online.

And, THANK YOU AARON FOR THE CANDY BAR!

The Colonel said...

1. I am an in-betweener

2. I've heard Voddie speak a couple times before and his preaching this weekend was amazing, between him and Tim Keller I can't decide which i got the most from.

3. I'm going to have to listen to a lot of those messages another time or two to try and collect everything they were throwing out there.

Cox said...

I have no problem sharing the wonder that is Pearsons Salted Nutroll. I'm just glad I could help.

For me, David Wells was the socks knocker for me. That chess-checkmate analogy really turned some lights on for me.

terryd said...

I suppose I'm really an in-betweener too. I have some cognitive difficulty with certain petals on the TULIP, but I've been learning a lot from the Reformed side over the last few years; Sproul, Piper, Martin Lloyd-Jones (now reading his short book "Authority"), and a dash of the old Puritans Jonathan Edwards and John Owen.

Yeah, the Keller talk is one I will definitely go back to...and mamad says they're already available.

terryd said...

Aaron,

How is his book (the one they handed out)? I just sampled the first couple of pages, but I want to read that and ultimately some of the other ones in the series too.
I heard somewhere (probably from Chris) that you were into that one before the conference.

Linda said...

I think I might have been the one who told you Aaron was reading the Wells book, but when I went to his blog I noted he was reading a different book. But can't remember what different book that was and now with the new format I can't find it. Just what book were you reading, Aaron?!

I, also, really liked David Wells. Perhaps it was the accent. I'd forgotten the chess example, but that was a good one. I guess I liked his references to Hebrews. It was good fo me to get beyond Hebrews 13:17 and see what the real message of Hebrews is that is pretty much summed up in Hebrews 1:1,2!

Cox said...

I was actually reading the D.A. Carson book "Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church." Before that, I read a pretty exhaustive review of "becoming conversant," plus both of Driscolls books. I fully plan on digging in to Wells, too.

terryd said...

Gary,

I am duly chastened.;)